Have a private question or comment?

Email me I would love to know your feedback for this site or let me know what I can research for you. Happy to help in any way I can! Click the link or copy and paste babyblueinbangkok@gmail.com

Monday 26 December 2016

Doula's do more


Wonder's will never cease...my husband attended a Doula meeting on Christmas Eve.


It was on the promise of a nice breakfast and beer, and he did successfully make himself larger than life with the women there, but it was still such a great achievement (for both of us) and a personal highlight so far on this journey.

We met with Rasee, who has an infectious laugh and a wicked glint in her eye (a good glint!), I think I knew instantly that she would have the perfect energy to fill the room if we had her as our Doula. But more than that, the meeting was a turning point for me in so many ways:


Rasee was so open to choices in labour that I have almost stopped worrying about it
My husband was delightfully well behaved (despite knocking back beers) and I think his presence and contributions (more like quips) helped everyone to a certain extent 
I met two other mums-to-be that are due around the same time as me. This was very reassuring 
One of those mums seemed to be totally on my wave length and the prospect of building a new friendship network seems so much easier now

Finding people to communicate with about your TTC and pregnancy journey is difficult in Thailand, especially if you are working. Mummy Club and BAMBI events are geared around baby nap times, not important business meetings and doctors talk only in medical jargon. But having attended two Doula coffee mornings I can say that they are a brilliant release for discussing all the things that you have been having nightmares and sleepless nights about. There is no question too stupid to ask, no worry that another mum-to-be is not worried about and no story you can tell that will seem too crazy. Doula's have an incredible way of maintaining a calmness....its infectious!

At the Christmas Eve coffee morning we laughed and joked, my husband entertained us with his sarcasm and quick quips, but what Rasee managed to achieve in a matter of seconds was a lively, warm, sharing of information and thoughts. I walked away feeling empowered and not alone.

If you are still wondering what a Doula technically does - here is Rasee's description:
"As a doula, I accompany women in labor to help ensure a safe and satisfying birth experience. I draw on my knowledge and experience as a doula to provide emotional support, physical comfort and, as needed, communication with other caregivers to make sure that you have the information you need to make informed decisions as they arise in labor. I can provide reassurance and perspective to you and your partner (if present), make suggestions for labor progress, and help with relaxation, massage, positioning and other techniques for comfort. I am independent and self-employed. As your doula, I am working for you, not your caregiver or hospital."
But they have already done more than this for me. They have helped me bridge the world from working wife, with zero knowledge of labor choices, no mummy friends, and a future that seemed more scary than enlightening; to the world of future mum, with new social circles, new conversation topics, and new energy.

Thank you Doula's of Bangkok x



No comments:

Post a Comment