Have a private question or comment?

Email me I would love to know your feedback for this site or let me know what I can research for you. Happy to help in any way I can! Click the link or copy and paste babyblueinbangkok@gmail.com

Sunday 15 January 2017

Roasted Pumpkin, Chickpea and Sausage Stew

Hubby has thrown a double whammy at me. After being inspired by the Hairy Bikers Diet programme he wants to go on a low carb, low calorie diet and lose 18kg's. This means bringing his calories down to about 2,000 a day, which for a 6' 3" broad shouldered, broad chested man will mean I have to think quite laterally about how to stop him from being hungry, plus he has to get his arse down the gym more!




I point blank refuse to cook two different meals for us, so as I am pregnant and for the FIRST TIME EVER in my life don't want to be limited to 2000 calories a day, I will be snacking at least twice a day (in addition) to keep my good calories up a bit.

This recipe idea was born out of a recipe I found on www.bumpandbeyondnutrition.com. It's hard to get some of the ingredients in Thailand at all supermarkets, and our local supermarket is very 'local', so this is an adapted version based on what I have available in my local shop and my store cupboard and freezer.

My favourite thing about this recipe is when you get a little pop of the fennel seeds!

1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius 
Pumpkin - 500g - chopped into 1" pieces with skin on
Carrots - 2 large - chopped into  1" pieces
Coriander root power - 1 tsp
Cumin powder - 1tsp
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
Sea salt and cracked black pepper - to taste 
2) Put all of the above into a roasting tray, coat vegetables thoroughly, and roast for 30 mins 
Onion - 1 diced
Garlic - 2 cloves grated
Ginger or Galangal - 2 tsp grated
Chilli - small, chopped finely (I use my little red ones that I pickled but any will do)
Olive Oil - 1 tbsp
Sea salt and cracked black pepper - to taste 
3) Sweat the above ingredients over a medium heat for 5 mins 
Cherry Tomatoes - 300g chopped into quarters
Bay leaf - 1 
4) Add the above ingredients to the onions and sweat with the lid on for 5 mins 
Chicken or vegetable stock - 300ml (sometimes I make my own but usually use Knorr)
Chickpeas - 200g (canned or dried and cooked)
Premium Sausages - 3 pre grilled 
5) Add the sausages, chickpeas, pumpkin, carrots and stock to the onions and tomatoes and simmer for 30 mins 
Spinach - 3 frozen blocks (we use Waitrose from Tops) 
6) Add the spinach to the stew and once the spinach is warmed through serve with brown rice or cauliflower rice
Serves 4 
To help track hubby's calories, carbs, protein and fat I am using the www.nutracheck.co.uk website and according to that the nutritional value per serving is:

Calories: 334
Carbs: 25.8g
Sugar: 13.4g
Fat:19.3g
Protein: 16.2g
96% of a 5 a day fruit and vegetable target 
(for more information see http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/5ADAY)

Hope you enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment